Chick Lit Review #1: Table for Two by Marla Miniano


So I wasn't expecting much when I started reading this aptly-numbered 143-paged book; I figured it would be a story I've read before, plus the cheesy line accompanying the title, "Where love will find you", didn't help. But when I started reading, I must admit I was pleasantly surprised.

First of all, this new offering from Summit Books is actually a series of interrelated stories involving--to a small of great extent--a small coffee shop where love began, failed, or was found. It's certainly tricky to keep this point authentic and consistent, yet the writer managed to keep things believable and never over-reaching. The prose was simple but clear and vivid, and certain lines even jumped out in their charming (albeit a bit too dramatic) quality. The characters were credible, however standard in their chick lit involvement, but likeable nonetheless. Most importantly, the women in the stories were empowered, knew how to make their own choices, and never hinged their future solely on love.

A great read, with actual substance and style to boot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

"It's really hard to walk in a single woman's shoes--that's why you sometimes need really special ones, to make the walk a bit more fun."

- Carrie Bradshaw, Sex and the City
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Should be making reports and presentations but would rather go shopping in Greenbelt.

At the water cooler

Blogroll

Follow girlnextcubicle on Twitter